The Theale Local History Group evolved from the successful and enjoyable project in which Theale residents produced a trail leaflet: A Walk Around Theale, a video: Theale Past and Present and the exhibition: Theale in Old Photographs. A parallel project produced the large and detailed Theale Community Quilt 2000 which hangs in the hall of Theale Green Community School. Both projects were led by the Adult Education team at Theale Green Community School and received funding from West Berkshire County Council. The group has joined the Berkshire Local History Association and has published books on the Community Quilt (on sale at the library), the War Memorial (available from the TLHG) and Theale in Old Photographs (on sale at the library, almost sold out).
The Time of Our Lives – Theale Community Quilt
The quilt is now hanging in Holy Trinity Church. Come to a service on Sunday mornings or visit when the church is open on Saturday mornings or apply to the Church Wardens. Come and see it.
Meetings take place on Tuesdays every two months at 7.30pm at the Gateway Centre, with an outing and a BBQ in the summer. Meetings planned for 2012/13 are:
- Tuesday 18th September 2012 – Trevor Ottlewski will conclude his story about “Wokingham Town”
- Tuesday 20th November 2012 – John Brearley will talk on the “English Civil War in Reading” with slides and music
- Tuesday 15th January 2013 – Colin Hennell in “History Beneath our Feet” will talk about his excavation experiences
- Tuesday 19th March 2013 – Carolyn Jenkins will tell us about the history and development of “Caversham Court Gardens”
- Tuesday 21st May 2013 – AGM
Membership: Everyone welcome, whether residents or not.
Subscriptions are £10 per year per person
If you are interested in joining us please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org